Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gifts Beyond Measure

As I read my assistant Sonya's first SK Wire Jewelry post (http://skwirejewelry.com/2012/star-of-david-on-the-rise/) tears welled in my eyes for the memories of my own Papa who was Jewish too. I remember the excitement I felt every summer as a child getting to spend a week or two with him and Nana, away from my older brother who was always poking at me and teasing me, he just flat out bothered me. My Nana and Papa, having long since passed, were the gems in my life who gave me comfort through their never ending unconditional love.
Their being raised in different faiths was a blessing for all who knew them because it gave them unbelievable patience and understanding  not only for each other but others as well. I never saw them argue or even heard them raise a voice to my brother or I, their voices always calm, warm and soft like the feeling of the down filled duvet Nana laid over my bed to keep me warm at our holiday visits.
It was my summer visits with them as a child that molded me, showed me how to be kind and loving, and how to give beyond a measurable object.

I loved having Sonya join me in my studio, listening to the story about her grandmother and the love she has shared with her. It took me back to my childhood summers and the wonderful gift of love given me of my own Nana and Papa. But it gave me greater joy to create a small token as a memento, a sterling Star of David and sharing my gift with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment